Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: August 2002:
[webdev] postnuke work

To: webdev@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [webdev] postnuke work
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 00:32:44 -0500

OK, I guess it's postnuke.

Some basic things that I think should be done:

  1) Machine/connection: The machine that the website runs on
     needs to be opened up to let active developers have access
     to the machine: user accounts, root password (at least for
     some people). It also needs to have the fastest possible
     connection. I don't know what other options there are, but
     as I understand it John Alexander's connection is faster
     than Dale Hodge's. (This is even more important considering
     that the new home page, for example, is about 12X the size
     of the openacs-based home page -- not counting the graphics,
     which presumably get cached.)

  2) CVS: The postnuke code used on the website, plus any changes
     we make, needs to be put into cvs. We need to be able to
     access that code, work on it, check in changes, etc. It
     should be possible for someone to take the code and build
     their own test/development website to work offline.

  3) Bugzilla: I'd like to still use bugzilla as a bug tracking
     system.

I think the easiest way to get this done would be to move the
aclug.neuralmatrix.org website to the current aclug.notwerk.net
machine. The latter already has apache installed; cvs, mysql,
and bugzilla working. The most active webdev members already
have accounts. We could continue to run openacs for reference
purposes on another port (e.g., 8080; the change would be
trivial), or we could just turn it off (again, trivial).

Of course, if anyone wants to propose a better machine and/or
a better connection, we should consider that. Elsewhere, Dale
suggested using debian instead of the current krud/red hat
system. Biggest problem I see with that is that it would wipe
out a lot of reusable configuration on the current machine;
OTOH, it may be a good idea for a new machine. (Although as
a debian non-user I don't know that.)

Comments? What else do we need to do now?

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/