Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: August 2002:
[webdev] Re: postnuke work

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: postnuke work
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 22:52:23 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: webdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:webdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
> Of Tom Hull

> OK, I guess it's postnuke.

It looks that way. You and I seemed to be the only one's with any preference.

> Some basic things that I think should be done:
>
>   1) Machine/connection: The machine that the website runs on
>      needs to be opened up to let active developers have access
>      to the machine: user accounts, root password (at least for
>      some people).

The site at neuralmatrix.org will definately need to be moved, as I can't grant
full access to people on the machine it currently resides on.  Even if it
remained on the neuralmatrix, it would have to move to a different box.

>      It also needs to have the fastest possible
>      connection. I don't know what other options there are, but
>      as I understand it John Alexander's connection is faster
>      than Dale Hodge's.

I'm sure his is. Eventually I'll be getting more bandwidth, but that would be
late fall at the earliest. (it won't happen until my ISP completes it's
negotiations for more bandwith from thier upstream provider)

>      (This is even more important considering
>      that the new home page, for example, is about 12X the size
>      of the openacs-based home page -- not counting the graphics,
>      which presumably get cached.)

The size of the front page is dependant on how many thigs we desire to display
on it. (obviously).  As a test platform, I was compelled to throw out all the
options.  There are also choices for simpler albeit less interesting graphics.

>   2) CVS: The postnuke code used on the website, plus any changes
>      we make, needs to be put into cvs. We need to be able to
>      access that code, work on it, check in changes, etc. It
>      should be possible for someone to take the code and build
>      their own test/development website to work offline.

There shouldn't be any big problems with this, AFAIK.

>   3) Bugzilla: I'd like to still use bugzilla as a bug tracking
>      system.

Bugzilla is okay.  I'd like to look into using a PHP solution, with the hopes
that it can be intigrated with PostNuke.  A bug tracking system for PN is
planned, though I'm not sure it's gotten much past the drawing board stage yet.

> I think the easiest way to get this done would be to move the
> aclug.neuralmatrix.org website to the current aclug.notwerk.net
> machine. The latter already has apache installed; cvs, mysql,
> and bugzilla working. The most active webdev members already
> have accounts. We could continue to run openacs for reference
> purposes on another port (e.g., 8080; the change would be
> trivial), or we could just turn it off (again, trivial).

I've yet to try this, but I think I can do this without too much drama.  If we
aren't planning to continue with OpenACS, I think we should shut AOLServer and
Posgreql down to conserve system resources.

> Of course, if anyone wants to propose a better machine and/or
> a better connection, we should consider that.

No suggestions here.

> Elsewhere, Dale
> suggested using debian instead of the current krud/red hat
> system. Biggest problem I see with that is that it would wipe
> out a lot of reusable configuration on the current machine;
> OTOH, it may be a good idea for a new machine. (Although as
> a debian non-user I don't know that.)

I only suggest this if we change machines.  Debian seems to manage security much
better than RedHat.  Package management is a dream by comparison.  Now that
Debian 3.0 has released, it's a fairly up-to-date system.

> Comments? What else do we need to do now?

I'd like to hear from the rest of the development team before doing much of
anything. In the mean time, I'll see if I can start getting things ready for the
move.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx