Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: tetrinext: March 2000:
[tetrinext] Re: let's talk about the chat interface.

To: tetrinext@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tetrinext] Re: let's talk about the chat interface.
From: Jared Johnson <solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:12:44 GMT

> I think that is way overkill.  Tetris is an interactive game and you
> can't really chat while playing, to the extent that you can while
> playing chess or freeciv.  something simple will be fine.

Oh but I beg to differ.  People come to tetrinet servers to (a) play, and only
chat when they're yelling at the chanop to start the game (b) both play and chat
(c) lose quickly and chat the rest of the time

The extensive chatting in tetrinet is inexplicable.  All that I can say is
that, when given the means, players just can't help but skip this game in order
brag about their cool win in the last game.

Off the subject, I think because of this there should be a "sit this one out"
command that can be run before the game starts or during the first ~5 seconds =)

> Implementing the whole of IRC is way overkill.  Anyway you can add
> chatting later.  Focus on the game itself first.  Stop talking, start
> writing code :-)

I agree with you as far as priorities go.  Focus on making the game, then move
on to implimenting the whole of IRC ;)

--
Jared Johnson
solomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sam:  What's going on, Normie?
Norm: My birthday, Sammy.  Give me a beer, stick a candle in
      it, and I'll blow out my liver.
                -- Cheers, Where Have All the Floorboards Gone

Woody: Hey, Mr. P.  How goes the search for Mr. Clavin?
Norm:  Not as well as the search for Mr. Donut.
       Found him every couple of blocks.
                -- Cheers, Head Over Hill