Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: presentations: October 2002:
[presentations] Re: Monday meeting topic - 2nd Request

To: presentations@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Aclug Committee <committee@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [presentations] Re: Monday meeting topic - 2nd Request
From: Tom Hull <thull2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:35:36 -0500

Dale W Hodge wrote:
> [...]

The problem with combining a practical meeting on website issues
with a more general presentation on various website technologies
is that it implies that we're undoing the PostNuke decision and
going back to square zero. I'm only in favor of doing that if
you [Dale] decide that you're sick of PostNuke and want to use
something else. That hasn't happened, so the agenda is still to
push forward with PostNuke.

If PostNuke doesn't work for us, then my decision would be to go
back to my OpenACS prototype, since at least it works now, and
declare that FBOW the official ACLUG website. If you want to do
that, then I'll try to pull together an OpenACS presentation,
using the website as an example. If you want to stick with
PostNuke, then _you_ should pull together a presentation --
and you have at least three example websites to work with.

One big advantage of PostNuke (at least for a presentation) is
that it's relatively easy for people to set up their own PN sites.
(That's also an advantage to using PN for the ACLUG website, of
course. And it's more likely to draw attendees, since it has the
potential of adding to people's skillbase rather.)

So, Dale, what I think is that you're on the spot here. This
doesn't have to be long (30-45 minutes max.), and can segue into
my agenda, which under the circumstances should start with how
to add content to the PN-based ACLUG website -- the sysadmin
and detail implementation issues can be postponed to another
meeting, which we should merely schedule at Monday's meeting.
Does this make sense?

As for Zope, I hope the word doesn't even come up.

--
/*
  *  Tom Hull * thull2 at cox.net * http://www.tomhull.com/