Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2009:
Re: UID Validity Problem

To: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Daniel Skinner <skinner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: UID Validity Problem
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:33:23 -0500

Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:08:38PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>>> I've asked that question something like a week ago. I've got:
>>> "Please see the section in the manpage on this topic."
>> In seriousness, has that solved your problem?  If not, let us know how.
>
> Not sure you're talking to me or to the OP. Anyway, I have no idea how
> it is possible but the message disappeared without (and before) my
> intervention.
>
>> It is something of a FAQ, which is why it's in the manpage.
>
> Which is somewhat embarrassing. The user expects to find that kind of
> stuff in the FAQ, not in the manpage. The manpage stands to help users
> to understand a command with its options. Somtimes it could explain how
> to write a configuration file but never how to resolve a technical
> issue.

Oh?  I would always check a manpage first.  It's the canonical place to
look for documentation on a *nix system.  But if somebody would like to
add it to the FAQ on the wiki, feel free.  Just because OfflineIMAP's
manpage isn't crappy shouldn't be a reason not to use it ;-)

Other prominent examples of documentation in manpages: the entire Perl
language, bash (including all sorts of shell scripting basics),
procmail, maildrop, etc.

> [ Please, don't feel the above remark as a personnal reproach. I try to
> figure out the user POV (which was mine one week ago). ]

No problem; I understand.

-- Johh