Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2008:
KMail and offlineimap - maybe solved; remove weird GMail foldernames?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: KMail and offlineimap - maybe solved; remove weird GMail foldernames?
From: freeform.reform <freeform.reform@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:31:39 +0100

Hello,
According to the manual, KMail is not supposed to work properly with
offlineimap..
I think I found a way how (with GMail):
   1. The problem is that KMail doesn't allow Subfolders in its inbox.
   However, this guy found a way to do it:
   //soft.zoneo.net/Linux/backup_imap_kmail.php">
   http://soft.zoneo.net/Linux/backup_imap_kmail.php
   _The problem was that the version of kmail I had would only find the
   emails of the top folder (INBOX), and not the subfolders... The format used
   by kmail is slightly different, but it is not to hard to modify it.
   Basically, I had to create a directory called .INBOX.directory (watch for
   the dot), move the folders Perso and Work in there, and perform that same
   step for all nested folders._
   2. In KMail I added a new "account" - you can add any maildir. The
   stupid thing was that KMail would move all mails from a maildir (the
   one offlineimap syncs to) to its own maildir. So - we just let offlineimap
   work with KMail's maildir!
   3. Basically, I pointed KMail to an empty maildir, and as a
   destination to the KMail inbox (am not sure if you actually need any account
   at all)
   4. Then I pointed offlineimap to a subfolder of the KMail inbox,
e.g. localfolders
   = ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.inbox.directory/.username.directory
   5. Also, I turned off "mark messages read after... seconds".
   If I startup KMail now, it shows me all my mails instantly and very
   quick as a subfolder of the inbox. (Note: I only use KMail as a "viewer" for
   my mails, I send and work on my mail via GMail)

Now my question:
How do I properly strip off GMails weird folder names?
GMail puts Emails in Username/[GMail]/All Mails/
With offlineimap, I wanna get rid of those two folders /[GMail]/All Mails/
so that cur-new-tmp is directly in the "Username" folder.
I managed to get rid of [GMail] with nametrans = lambda foldername:
re.sub('^\[GMail\]/', '', foldername),
but how do I get rid off the second folder in the hierarchy (All Mail)?

Thanks for the wonderful program,

Peter

PS: I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say, if I read my post now
it sounds confusing... ;)