Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2008:
Re: nametrans and dovecot

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: nametrans and dovecot
From: Daniel Meszaros <spam@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:59:01 +0100

Hi,

Asheesh Laroia schrieb:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Daniel Meszaros wrote:
>
>> Dear all,=0D
>
> Your email's lines all end with these weird =0D characters, as if your
> email client is doing something terribly wrong with quoted-printable
> encoding.

Sorry, this is Roundcube which I use when I am not at home. It's newly
set up so I did not yet recognize the wrong configuration. Maybe it has
something to do with the not yet disabled HTML mail creation. Anyway,
now I am using Thunderbird which should be fine.

>> I managed to get offlineimap working and it appears to do what I want -=0D
>> with a non-Python-scripted workaround...=0D
>
> Why avoid Python?

I don't want to avoid Python itself. But if someone wants to do a short
test of it and gets in troubles immediately -because of his lack of
knowledge about Python- then it might be better providing another
possibility, maybe with a module/addon/plugin for "problematic" IMAP
servers.

I myself do not yet understand completely what your Python script does
exactly so I'd -especially if I don't have the time to learn this and
just want to have a simple _solution_- maybe leave "offlineimap"
untouched then and try something else.

>> As a few others mentioned before in...=0D
>> =0D
>>   http://lists.complete.org/offlineimap@xxx/2006/07/msg00006.html.gz=0D
>>   http://lists.complete.org/offlineimap@xxx/2007/01/msg00005.html.gz=0D
>>   http://lists.complete.org/offlineimap@xxx/2007/10/msg00006.html.gz=0D
>
> These links are broken.

Yes, I saw the links in the list this way and decided not to propagate
"@complete.org" and replaced it with "xxx". The last one points to your
solution.

> I suggest doing what I do, anyway - use my nametrans.  It's easy and
> correct. (-:  There's a message in the archives about it.

Ok, maybe you can help me understanding what your Python "addon" exactly
does...

In http://svn.asheesh.org/svn/public/conf/offlineimaprc you include the
additional Python script in line 3. In line 20 you access the function
"backwardsnametrans" (and accordingly in line 29 and 30 the other ones).

The function "backwardsnametrans" checks if the folder name is has no
"." -then it assumes INBOX- or if it is some ".subfolder" -then it
strips the leading dot-.

The function "myfoldercmp" orders the folder synchronization after a
given priority, and the priority is defined in the variable
"prioritized". Right? What is the benefit of ordering? To have at least
the most necessary folders synced if the connection drops?

Then function "mynametrans" which translates local "dotted" stuff back
to IMAP, so it is the opposite of "backwardsnametrans", or not?

As far as I understood -if I understood it right- the "myfoldercmp" is
in general not necessary to have a Maildir++/Dovecot IMAP server
synchronized properly using "offlineimap". I could leave it with both
other functions to get around the "symlink workaround" I found.

I'd suggest to take this over as somewhat like "dovecot_addon.py" in the
general distribution of "offlineimap".

Ciao and thanks for your help up to now,
Daniel.