Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2008:
Re: Slowdown

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Aaron Kaplan <lists2546@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Slowdown
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:52:38 -0600

On Wed January 9 2008 4:32:59 pm Aaron Kaplan wrote:
> > What are the characteristics of your account?  Lots of folders?  Few or
> > many messages per folder?
>
> 35 folders; about 17k messages total, with the four biggest folders
> accounting for 11k of that.

Well, this is pretty puzzling.  There have been some patches that have been
applied that are reported to significantly *increase* performance in this
situation.

I might suggest you grab the darcs tree and try unapplying a few patches, and
see what happens.  The biggest ones that are on your path are:

Mon Oct  1 11:20:37 CDT 2007  John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * Daniel Jacobowitz patches

Fri Jul  6 06:46:29 CDT 2007  John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * Re-scan list of remote folders on each sync

Wed Mar 28 10:23:18 CDT 2007  John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * Improve filesystem flushing semantics

Mon Aug 22 21:15:09 CDT 2005  John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * [319117] Unroll loop to speed performance on large folders

Tue Nov 16 10:41:09 CST 2004  John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  * Added code to limit command line length for very large mailboxes

There may be others that I didn't see.

Try removing each of those in turn and see if any of them speed it up.  I'd
be interested in your results.