Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: October 2007:
Re: Failing to reproduce file hierarchy locally

To: Andy Schofield <ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Failing to reproduce file hierarchy locally
From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:30:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Andy Schofield wrote:

>> Use mynametrans from my Python extensions:
>>
>> http://svn.asheesh.org/svn/public/code/offlineimap_ext.py
>>
>> See also my offlineimap rc:
>>
>> http://svn.asheesh.org/svn/public/conf/offlineimaprc
>>
>> Feel free to publicize these links!
>>
>> -- Asheesh.
>
> That is a great help - they work perfectly!
>
> However, this structure now messes up the names of folders in Evolution
> (as I should have realized - it generates maildir++). What I would like
> to do now is to have the top level directory (~/Maildir) as my inbox and
> the rest of the substructure as unhidden folders separated by "/"

What I do is I run Dovecot locally as well as remotely.  So I have e.g.
Evolution talk to the local Dovecot.

That way I get the benefits of Dovecot like its indexes.  I recommend
doing that - also, that means you can be sure that you can have many
multiple local clients accessing the Maildirs over IMAP.

> So I have tried :
>
> [Repository Local]
> type = Maildir
> localfolders = ~/Maildir
> sep = /
>
> [Repository Remote]
> type = IMAP
> remotehost = XXX.bham.ac.uk
> remoteuser = ajs
> nametrans = lambda foldername: re.sub('^INBOX\.', '', foldername)
>
> as suggested in the manual. However this creates
>
> cur/
> Drafts/
> INBOX/
> new/
> Queue/
> Sent/
> tmp/
>
> With 2 copies of the emails: one set in ~/Maildir/cur and an identical
> set in ~/Maildir/INBOX/cur
>
> How do I stop the ~/Maildir/INBOX/ being created with INBOX emails just
> going into ~/Maildir ?

You can special-case it in my Python function: if s == 'INBOX': return
'', or something like that.  I would still suggest doing
Maildir++ plus IMAP on both ends, though.

-- Asheesh.

--
Miller's Slogan:
        Lose a few, lose a few.