Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: Offlineimap and notebook computers

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Raffi Khatchadourian <khatchad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Offlineimap and notebook computers
From: Gilles Roy <groy@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:11:23 -0400

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 01:42:39PM -0400, John Goerzen wrote:
>On Fri July 6 2007 11:01:03 am Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced any difficulty using offlineimap and notebook
>> computers? In particular, when either my network goes off for a short
>> period of time (e.g., I'm on a train) or I close my notebook (i.e.,
>put
>> it to sleep), when I either reconnect to the internet or wakeup my
>> computer, respectively, offlineimap acts very strange. The application
>> appears to keep running, but in actually it is not synchronizing mail
>and
>> thus not behaving normally. I most often have to restart offlineimap
>as
>> a result. Has anyone experienced any similar problems? Any
>suggestions?
>
>I use OfflineIMAP on laptops.  In these situations, normally what I see
>is
>that OfflineIMAP appears to hang when it next attempts to sync.  That is
>
>because the TCP connections it held open can no longer work.
>
>Eventually, it will receive a notification from the OS of this, and
>exit.
>
>I will be adding a feature to OfflineIMAP shortly to implement a
>timeout,
>which will make it exit sooner.
>
>Another alternative is to run OfflineIMAP from cron.
>
>-- John

The offlineimap docs say:

"If you need to schedule synchronizations, please use the autorefresh
settings rather than cron."

The only problem with autorefresh is that it can exit and then you need
to manually restart offlineimap. It would be nice if instead of exiting
on error, in autorefresh mode, it might just sleep a bit and restart
itself.

Regards,
Gilles