Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2007:
Re: Offlineimap and notebook computers

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Raffi Khatchadourian <khatchad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Offlineimap and notebook computers
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:42:39 -0500

On Fri July 6 2007 11:01:03 am Raffi Khatchadourian wrote:
> Has anyone experienced any difficulty using offlineimap and notebook
> computers? In particular, when either my network goes off for a short
> period of time (e.g., I'm on a train) or I close my notebook (i.e., put
> it to sleep), when I either reconnect to the internet or wakeup my
> computer, respectively, offlineimap acts very strange. The application
> appears to keep running, but in actually it is not synchronizing mail and
> thus not behaving normally. I most often have to restart offlineimap as
> a result. Has anyone experienced any similar problems? Any suggestions?

I use OfflineIMAP on laptops.  In these situations, normally what I see is
that OfflineIMAP appears to hang when it next attempts to sync.  That is
because the TCP connections it held open can no longer work.

Eventually, it will receive a notification from the OS of this, and exit.

I will be adding a feature to OfflineIMAP shortly to implement a timeout,
which will make it exit sooner.

Another alternative is to run OfflineIMAP from cron.