Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2002:
Where to from here?

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Where to from here?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:50:09 -0500

Hi,

Since the release of version 3.x, all the features I had originally planned
for OfflineIMAP have been implemented.  I'd like to thank Juergen, Martijn,
Niel, and the others that have helped find, debug, and fix compatibility
with various IMAP servers.

What features would you like to see?  Any ideas of future directions for the
program?

Now that the "fast and furious" development has mostly ended, it becomes
more feasible to open up CVS for write access to more people.  I think the
architecture is nor mostly stable.  Matrijn Pieters suggested a -checkins
list, which I will try to set up by Monday.  I think that's going to be a
prerequisite to having many people with CVS write abilities.

My own thoughts:

 * I'm unhappy with parts of the architecture, most notably the size and
extensive use of global variables in offlineimap.py.

 * imaplib.py has been a cause of probably 80% of the bugs in the program.
It stinks.  It's annoying to work with.  It works non-intuitively.  And I've
had to hack it up just to make it work (which is why offlineimap ships with
imaplib.py).  It would be really cool to write a new IMAP library from
scratch, to make it more OO (return an IMAPResult object instead of a bunch
of lists and string lists in arbitrary order and complexity).

 * I think the GUI display of the threads could be better but I'm not sure
how.

--
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>    GPG: 0x8A1D9A1F    www.complete.org