Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2006:
[linux-help] Re: Laptop Install Probs

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Laptop Install Probs
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 07:32:13 -0500

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 21:14 -0700, Olwe Bottorff wrote:
> Just got a Thinkpad T20 (came with Win2000sp4...sic)
> and tried to install Fed5 from burnt CDs. Midway
> through the 1st disk it fails, saying it can't read
> the CD. I run the "media test" Fed5 provides--and
> disks 1 and 2 come up bad. I'm pretty sure they're not
> (used the same on my main box install), so I suspect
> the CDROM drive is old/too slow/flaky.
>
> So, is there a way to install over the net? Can I
> install from my main box (Fed 5), or even over the
> Internet? At this point I'll take anybody's Linux
> distro.

yes,
Put the FC5 iso images on an ftp server (at the root of the ftp tree)
then boot from the boot disk and use "linux askmethod" to get to the ftp
install.

BTW, the media check may fail a perfectly good disk. Something about the
# of sectors.  Some have said that burning the image with the pad option
eliminated the media check errors.