Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] Re: archiving VHS on DVD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: archiving VHS on DVD
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:08:51 -0500

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 7:16 pm, James Lancaster wrote:
> First of all, find out what input formats your DVD software supports.
> Ideally you will record to MPEG2 directly... but that might not be
> possible. (MPEG2 seems to take lots more processor than mpeg4/divx
> variants)

will check it out, not positive at the moment ...

> Easiest way to record is using mencoder. I typically record to mpeg4.
> You will have to replace some things (this is from memory, check things).
> Good encoding is an art (of knowing options & patience or having LOTS of
> money for cpu)

yup, as i experienced when ripping DVD->DivX :)

> (this is a bit higher than default, and results in large files, which can
> be compressed later, as my cpu can barely caputure at that resolution)
> mencoder -tv device=/dev/video/0:norm=us-cable:width=640:height=480 tv://4
> -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1600 -o
> outputfile.avi
> mencoder supports mpeg2 encoding, but I haven't tried it much, and not from
> tv, so you will have to experement.

it would actually be from the composite-in on the WinTV card (which is
actually s-video with a tiny converter that allows you to plugin composite)

> As for transfering files, a partition that is vfat should do fine, or any
> other method.

will actually be capturing them on the same machine that i'll be using for
creating the DVDs ... big vfat partition that's shared b/n the windows and
linux sides ...

thx,
-g-