Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] archiving VHS on DVD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] archiving VHS on DVD
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:37:01 -0500

anyone have experience archiving VHS tapes onto DVDs?  i have a ton of old
home movies from my mom (and soon my gf's mom) that she wants archived on
DVD ... i have all the equipment (ATI AIW 9600 non-pro, Hauppage WinTV-Radio,
DVD+/-RW, VCR :P) i need, but haven't been very satisfied with the results so
far ...

(note: yes, i do realize the AIW capture capabilities don't work in linux .. i
was initially using the software that came with the AIW in XP to try to
capture, but ran into some problems, see below)

i've been really pleased with (gasp) the windows software that came with my
AIW for authoring DVDs (menus, titles, etc), but whenever i captured from the
VCR, the picture was either choppy (from too many frames dropped when using
higher res) or it was "blotchy" (when using the lower res) ... i figured,
since my home theatre is run by linux, that i could probably get better
captures in linux because of better performance, stability, etc, but i'm not
completely sure where to begin capturing in linux ...

at this point, i would like to capture the videos in linux, then take them
into XP and use the software (can't recall the name) to put them all together
on a DVD and burn ... i'd like to get the videos as close as possible to the
original quality so they can be enjoyed at their current quality level before
they deteriorate anymore!

one of the biggest questions i have is what the optimum resolution would be
for capturing ... obviously a dvd resolution will be higher than the original
vhs, so i'm not sure which to capture at to prevent too much scaling or image
quality loss when playing back on a set-top DVD player ...

suggestions?  tips?  all are appreciated!

jesse