Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2004:
[linux-help] Re: archiving VHS on DVD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: archiving VHS on DVD
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:01:02 -0500

On Wednesday 18 August 2004 6:36 pm, David Carmichael wrote:
> I can tell you from experience... try to find the original source on
> DVD....
>
> Many TV shows had been or soon will be released on DVD...

well, as i stated, they're old home movies, so i severely doubt they'll be
released on dvd anytime soon, as these are the only copies :P

> Other wise if you really want to do it on your hardware....

i really don't have a choice ... it's not worth it to me to go out and
purchase equipment just to copy old home movies (that are already poor enuf
quality, since i believe most of these are dupes of the original)

> [1] Turn off all factions that would access harddrive such as virus
> protection, screen savers and any thing else.... [you might even want to
> unlit from local network!!]
> [2] Turn off all TSR's that might load not related to your capture card..
> [3] If you have memory utility set as much as you can for disk cache.
> [4] Once you start the record program set the on screen image to the
> smallest window that you can. [the larger it is the more memory is used]

yeah, i know all of this ... i've already got my linux side stripped down
pretty much, as it is my HTPC and i wanted the best performance possible out
of my dvd/movie player ... my system is running slack with blackbox as the
window manager ... no framebuffer bootup ... and only a few services (mysql,
mythbackend) which can be stopped without any problem ... my question is more
relating to the actual software and settings ... what res, format, etc,
etc ...

-g-