Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2004:
[linux-help] Re: Linux antivirus

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux antivirus
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:31:19 -0500

bbales wrote:

>I have convinced a friend to add Linux to his new Win XP computer and he asked
>about antivirus protection.  Before I tell him it isn't needed, I thought
>perhaps I should get a second opinion.
>
>There seems to be no HOWTO and not much discussion on the net.  Found several
>antivirus products for sale and one downloadable called clam.  He'll probably
>have a firewall.
>
>Do any of you have antivirus protection on Linux workstations and if so what
>kind?
>
>Are there viruses out there?  Yet?
>bruce
>-- This is the linux-help@xxxxxxxxx list.  To unsubscribe,
>visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Last question first.
Yes, there are viruses for linux (mostly of the worm format)

However, that is not the real reason to run a virus scanner on linux.
Samba shares and email are two very demanding reaasons to have a virus
scanner.

Some of the ones I know about are AMaViS,  Clamav, Fprot, among others.
How they are set up and used varies, as does the efficacy and the ease
of use and updating.
Several are free, and others cost.

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject that can be seen on
the archives of the fedora list at
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list  Probably on a lot of
other lists as well.

The general concensus appears to favor spamassassin and clamav for
protection.