Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Advanced X-Windows Question

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Advanced X-Windows Question
From: Dustin Keib <dustin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 02:45:47 -0500

Actually, this is very possible.  I am currently typing this email on a laptop
that is using a remote X connection to my main machine, using KDE from the
server.
First, edit your .xinitrc file to not start any window manager,etc, and open
an xterm with the ssh command.
Here's an example of the relevent stuff from my .xinitrc...
First, comment out whatever window manager you usually start.
add the following in its place:

xterm -e ssh -X <hostname> startkde

or replace <startkde> with whatever window manager you usually use.

If you are just trying to run one program remotely, ssh to the server machine,
with the -X switch, and run <program name> -display :0 (or whatever display
number it picks) and you should be good to go....

If these instructions are too archaic, I will talk to you on Monday about it
if you are going to be at the meeting...

Dustin