Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2003:
[linux-help] Re: The Onion | Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: The Onion | Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 23:14:33 -0500

* Dave and Cookie <dww@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2003 May 12 22:50 -0500]:
> When I first saw the article, I was pretty sure it was a hoax.  It was
> just too on target.  I'm not a regular reader, but I was surprised I
> hadn't seen it before.  After shuffling through their archives I'm
> almost convinced it's genuine.  The copyright date on the page is 2003,
> but everything else has a 2001 date.  So being 95% convinced I have to
> disagree with Nate.

Well, Dave, the Onion is a well known satirical publication and the
article is quite clever as are the dates, etc.

Unfortunately, you nor I have no real way to prove or disprove the
article and the links were actually published prior to last week.  Such
is the nature of the Web and any page can be altered at any later date.
since there is no definitive archive that can be trusted not to be
tampered, then I think it is safe to assume the article matches the
Onion's reputation for satire.

Not one word about Y2k in the remainder of your post.  I think that
looking back the real Y2k bug is the recession we've just been through.
I think it's folly to discount the effect of the IT spending that was
turned off like a tap in mid-2000 since there was no perceived problem
and most companies were quite tired of dealing with and spending money
on IT as they had before Y2k.  I know the company I work for was one.
No presidential policy could have prepared the over-valued stock market
for that.

Y2k was a media circus and largely a media hyped event.  Of course the
media will go to great lengths to distance itself from the fallout of
that hype.  I'll bet there are still people in fallout shelters waiting
for the "all clear".  ;-)

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and