Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2003:
[linux-help] Re: The Onion | Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: The Onion | Bush: 'Our Long National Nightmare Of Peace And Prosperity Is Finally Over'
From: Dave and Cookie <dww@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:26:30 +0000

When I first saw the article, I was pretty sure it was a hoax.  It was
just too on target.  I'm not a regular reader, but I was surprised I
hadn't seen it before.  After shuffling through their archives I'm
almost convinced it's genuine.  The copyright date on the page is 2003,
but everything else has a 2001 date.  So being 95% convinced I have to
disagree with Nate.

I found the Onion article amazing not because I tend to disagree with
Bush though I do, nor because I particularly admire Clinton though he
was/is  probably about as politically astute a President as one can
reasonably expect in a popularly (read "Big Money") elected government.
I find the article amazing simply because it was written within days of
Bush taking office.  It really doesn't matter who's at 'fault' for the
economic downturn, or whether or not September 11 would have been
handled differently under a different President ( or would have happened
at all for that matter if we allow ourselves to speculate on alternative
scenarios.)

The point is that when much of America was fairly complacent about who
had just been elected/appointed (choose one) President, The Onion
writers were a prophetic voice clearly stating things are going to be
different under this guy.  Of course they didn't / couldn't know all the
details, but  they did know things would be different in some specific
ways and they made some amazingly accurate guesses on how things would
play out.