Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] SBC/Yahoo DSL

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] SBC/Yahoo DSL
From: "Marc Bachman" <marcbachman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:32:35 -0500

Dear Friends- Thanks for the tip on PPPoE. What they?re sending me is an
internal modem for which there are no linux drivers, and therefore I
would not be able to use a linux firewall without having a proxy inside
the gateway. How discouraging. So I read on and I discover that DSL
routers are what more people have and that they?re not too expensive. I
cannot imagine that a router would not work for me and that way I would
not have a DSL interface that was OS dependent. I?m anxious to hear what
you people out there know. What I read at the SBC site tells me I?m not
eligible for a static IP, so I couldn?t host even a small file server by
IP. Also, who knows what distro has the most bullet proof out of the box
firewall?

Marc Bachman
marcbachman@xxxxxxxxxxx