Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] APM and ACPI

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] APM and ACPI
From: John Heffington <john1982@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 01:19:46 -0500

Hi y'all, installed the new SuSE 8.1 on Saturday. Great distro! Comes wit=
h=20
more stuff than RH 8.0 personal edition. Anywho, I get it installed on my=
=20
Gateway Solo 1400 Notebook and noticed something different right off the =
bat.=20
The power fan is actually off!! I thought this was a good thing consideri=
ng=20
that WinXP cycled the fan only when the Mobo got too hot.  Well,=20
unfortunaetly SuSE doesn't have APM or ACPI support built into the kernal=
=2E=20

1> How do I recompile the kernal
2> The log messages show that ACPI overrides the APM and it acts like it =
is=20
there. Infact, the battery icon says that there is a partial ACPI install=
tion=20
and that I need to enable the sub-options. The only thing I can do is SET=
 UID=20
to APM file and it allows the standy and suspend options to appear. Well =
what=20
I am wanting is a way for the fan to work properly. I found an ACPI folde=
r=20
under /proc and tried to alter the PFAN file to where it says on, but Kat=
e=20
editor says I do not have permission even tho I am root. So I am between =
a=20
rock and a hard spot. If anyone has any brilliant ideas as to how to fix=20
this, please reply!!!! I sure would hate to lose my Notebook over=20
overheating!!! Thanks.=20