Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: SBC/Yahoo DSL

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SBC/Yahoo DSL
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:12:42 -0500

I have been running an older Linux box with redhat 7.2 for over a year
with only 2 things different than stock as a firewall/gateway.

I have it running masquerading using ipchains, and am also running
portsentry to check for and block suspicious probes.
It also is running as a cacheing dns server so nothing from inside
communicates to the outside except thru the firewall and those are
masqueraded. As far as the outside world sees I have only one IP
connected, with 9 additional machines inside that have free access out.

Currently this is running on a Pentium 133 machine with 32MB ram and 2 NICs

On the router/firewall issue, I find that they have a problem I have not
yet resolved.

As far as the router itself, I tried to replace the linux box with a
Linksys firewall/router.
It connects using dhcp or fixed IP, but does not reference PPPoE.

The specs say it does NAT and firewalling, but when I connected it up I
found the only way it does firewalling is to install Zone Alarm. Since
this is, AFAIK, a windows based application I chose not to install it yet.

Since the router is managed exclusively by a web based interface I am
not confident it cannot be accessed and broken from the outside
(internet) interface. The only requirement for unauthorized access that
I have found as yet is to break the password.

If anyone has specifics on how to set up the linksys firewall/router to
actually do firewalling without managing the firewall from a windows
machine and without installing what appears to be windows based (Zone
Alarm) software I am very interested.

Alternatively, if anyone has a suggestion for a linux based
firewall/router that actually can do firewalling using ipchains or
iptables I would be even more interested.