Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: CD writer needs SCSI driver

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD writer needs SCSI driver
From: "Larry Bottorff Jr." <mrprenzl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:55:42 -0500

The -scanbus option just produces a usage listing:
---
# cdrecord -scanbus -eject -v speed=12 dev=0,0,0 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
cdrecord: No tracks allowed with this option
cdrecord: Usage: cdrecord [options] track1...trackn
        -version        print version information and exit
        dev=target      SCSI target to use as CD/DVD-Recorder
        timeout=#       set the default SCSI command timeout to #.
        debug=#,-d      Set to # or increment misc debug level
---
I know there's a silver bullet solution because this is the second time
I've installed 7.3 on this machine. The first time was with the HP
cd-writer and it worked like a charm, so this second time when I threw
in the HP after installing with another CD player just needs some sort
of setting change. (I would hate to have to install 7.3 again just so I
can burn 8.0 disks....)

 >Did you do  "cdrecord -scanbus" ( as recommended at thte end of this
 >error message )  to verify all the correct modules are loaded and that
 >cdrecord can see the device?

 >I find the generic scsi modules are not loaded until needed and the
 >scanbus option caused it to load correctly. (once it is loaded it stays
 >until you either unload it or reboot).

 >>I'm trying to burn some iso's. I'm using HP cd-writer 9100 series. Actual
 >>ly, I installed RH7.3 with a different generic non-writing CD and
just tonight
 >>stuck the HP cd-writier in. It has been "recognized" and plays CD's
okay.=
 >> The RH "Hardware browser" sees it and has it on /dev/hdc. However,
when I try this:

 >># cdrecord -eject -v speed=3D12 dev=3D0,0,0 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
 >>Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J=F6rg
Schilling
 >>TOC Type: 1 =3D CD-ROM
 >>scsidev: '0,0,0'
 >>scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
 >>cdrecord: No such device. Cannot open '/dev/pg0'. Cannot open SCSI
driver 2E
 >>cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
areroot.