Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: CD writer needs SCSI driver

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: CD writer needs SCSI driver
From: James Lancaster <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 12:47:47 -0500

On Saturday 05 October 2002 08:55, you wrote:
> The -scanbus option just produces a usage listing:
> ---
> # cdrecord -scanbus -eject -v speed=12 dev=0,0,0 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
> cdrecord: No tracks allowed with this option
> cdrecord: Usage: cdrecord [options] track1...trackn

"cdrecord -scanbus" (without any other options) should show something like:
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'DVDROM 1' '0X              ' '40  ' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW2100E        ' '1.0N' Removable CD-ROM
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

If it doesn't, you will need to reboot and add "hdc=ide-scsi" onto the end of
the grub or lilo command line, which will tell linux to use scsi emulation to
talk to the cdrecorder (hdc) becasue of limitations on ide devices.

(note: on the scan bus above the cdrw (yamaha) is on dev=0,1,0  if you have
multiple cd/dvd drives, and want to use something like xcdroast to copy you
should also add "hdd=ide-scsi" if hdd is the other drive. There doesn't seem
to be any slowdown to me in using it that way, even for harddrives (though I
don't because there might be, and hd's are rw all the time, not just when
burning, so I don't want to chance messing things up on them)

James L