Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Default Path

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Default Path
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:57:26 -0500

try doing a 'grep PATH *' when you're in /etc...  something will turn up,
and take a look at those files...  in freebsd and (iirc) slack, there is a
/etc/profile and /etc/login.defs (or similar) as steve mentioned... some
also have an /etc/bashrc and /etc/cshrc or /etc/login...  if all else fails,
try changing one file at a time out of the list that the above grep returns
and testing...  sorry i can't help more, but i've struggled w/ the same prob
(i always forget which one applies, since i always use csh/tcsh instead of
bash, and most distros default to bash)...

good luck!
gLaNDix