Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Default Path

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Default Path
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:09:16 -0500

If everyone is using bash, you can put a PATH statement in
/etc/profile and that will be read before any user .profile. Look at
the man page for which ever shell(s) that you are using and I'm sure
you will find what to do. It is also possible to change the default
path, even before the shell starts. I think that might be dependent on
distribution somewhat. On Slackware there is a file /etc/login.defs. This is
read by the login process and has a minimal path defined.

Steve