Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Partition salad

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Partition salad
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:59:56 -0500

AFAIK Wildows will not recognize partitions on a disk where you have
more than one primary partition.  It also has problems with partitions
created by the linux fdisk.

That said, you can try setting the partition type to vfat on the one you
want windows to use and it may see it with no problem. Then a format
from windows on that partition and you are ready to use it.

However, if you do a windows install on a disk that already has Linux
installed and want to be able to get back into Linux, be sure you have a
boot floppy before you start, because during the install windows will
overwrite the boot loader on the mbr and you will need to boot back to
linux to set it up for dual boot.

Ivan Trail wrote:
> I have recently been overcome with the desire to reconnect a former linux
> partition to windows again.  Is there a way to do this without totally
> destroying everthing I have on windows?  So far there is just empty spece nd
> windows won't pick it up.
>
> Thanks
> Ivan

Jeff Vian