Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Process persistence

To: virtual-aclug.org-linux-help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Process persistence
From: Wayne White <WWHITE13@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 14:27:58 -0500

I am fooling around with some machines on a network. I am trying
to telnet into one machine, from another, start a program and close
the telnet connection. When I close the connection, the program
dies.

I am trying to get the machines to run headless & without keyboards.
To do so I need to be able to start programs remotely. I know that
telnet isn't real secure, but this network isn't connected to the outside
world.

So, how can I cause a program started over a telnet session to
persist when the telnet connection is closed?

Is there some other way to log into the headless machine to start
a program? Perhaps just a console on the other machine? I wasn't
going to mess with SSH, but would that do what I need? I could
install it on both machines, I suppose.

Many thanks,

wayne