Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Process persistence

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Process persistence
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:16:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Wayne White wrote:

> I am fooling around with some machines on a network. I am trying
> to telnet into one machine, from another, start a program and close
> the telnet connection. When I close the connection, the program
> dies.
>
> I am trying to get the machines to run headless & without keyboards.
> To do so I need to be able to start programs remotely. I know that
> telnet isn't real secure, but this network isn't connected to the outside
> world.
>
> So, how can I cause a program started over a telnet session to
> persist when the telnet connection is closed?

try the nohup command.  Example:

bash$ nohup ./program_file &

instead of

bash$ ./program_file &

See the man/info page for details

> Is there some other way to log into the headless machine to start
> a program? Perhaps just a console on the other machine? I wasn't
> going to mess with SSH, but would that do what I need? I could
> install it on both machines, I suppose.

You should definately use SSH if running over an unsecured network.  If
you're logging into a remote machine where traffic could be watched, it is
preferable to encrypt (which ssh does, but basic telnet does not).

The only disadvantage of ssh is the computational overhead involved in
encryption, which is pretty tolerable for most machines and most
applications.