Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Squid and...

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Squid and...
From: "Hareesh Haridas" <Hareesh.Haridas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:57:04 +0530

hi friends,

        i have two simple(?) unrelated doubts.=09

: what exactly is meant by log rotation - is it closing a logfile, then
archiving it and then opening a fresh, zero-sized one at some specified
interval ? this is what my idea is, please correct me if i am wrong.

: i am using the Squid cache server's cache manager utility
(cachemgr.cgi) to watch the Squid's performance and statistics. the
screen presented by cachemgr.cgi has 4 fields to be filled in - the
host, the port, the manager name and the password. all is fine if i give
values for all these 4 fields - but if i do not specify a manager name i
get an 'access denied' error.=20

this is fine, but the strange part is that i just have to give in some
value (any string or even a character) in the manager name field - no
specific value to get access. it is just that the field has to be
filled. i found it strange and did RTFM - but to no avail. could anyone
please tell whether is is a feature/weirdness in the cachemgr.cgi
program ? i have also found from securityfocus.com that it is possible
to access web server data by changing the port value specified.

thanks in advance,
Hareesh.