Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Drivers?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Drivers?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 08:01:34 -0500

ftp.kernel.org

In other words... nearly all Linux drivers are built into the kernel--you
just need to configure them and/or possibly recompile your kernel with them.
The only exceptions are drivers that are too new to be in the kernel (which
are rare, and when they do exist, they're usually in the form of a kernel
patch), or those which are not opensource (such as those for Winmodems), and
must be downloaded separately and 'insmod'ed.

Regarding USB... just install the USB drivers (in the kernel), and then it's
somewhat automatic... it's been a while since I've used USB in Linux.

Another note: I suggest _not_ using a USB Cd-burner unless portability is
more important to you than speed.  USB is not fast enough to do very fast
burning (USB 1 is limited to 4x, USB 2 can do faster, but I believe is not
as well supported yet.)

-- Jonathan

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 02:08:07AM -0500, John Heffington wrote:

> Hey y'all, just wanted to know if there is a driver site dedicated to
> linux. I would like to get my ACPI devices to fuction like they are
> supposed to. (i.e. the fan only turns on when needed, but runs cnstantly
> now. And the lip should put the machine in stand-by mode, but only turns
> the screen off now.) Or if anybody knows howplease reply!!!! Thanks!!!
>
> BTW, thanks again Anne. I got RH 7.3 upand running in about 40 minutes
> on my laptop!!!. Everything seems to be doing ok. I have come across an
> error saying the the sound server could not play in real time. This is
> now fixed (I think). The sound server alson seems to turn itself off
> when the CPU gets overloaded and causes the sound to disappear. But for
> now, the sound works!
>
> Another question, how is does linux handle USB HDD's? Or how about USB
> anything? Does it configure them automatically or is there some
> programming required? I was thinking about getting a USB HDD and a USB
> CD burner, but was wanting to get some info before I buy.
>
> Gotta run!! Chow!

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and
years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the
worst movies in the history of the world.
     -- Dave Barry