Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Right Choice of Linux OS

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Right Choice of Linux OS
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:15:27 -0500

On Thursday 18 July 2002 02:57 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Cavgalar, Alexandros (Alex) wrote:
> > Can anyone give me the difference of the following Linux versions?

well, thomas seemed to cover this pretty well, so i'll skip it, except i =
must=20
say how slack is the best linux distro ever ; ^ )

> > In addition to above questions, can anybody suggest me CD Writing,
> > MP3/Wave type conversion softwares go with these Operating Systems?

MP3 Players:
mpg123 - commandline player; probably not what you're looking for

xmms - used to be X11AMP; winamp look/act-alike; supports winamp2 skins

noatun - KDE's media player; supports winamp2 and kjofol skins

gqmpeg - GUI to mpg123; has it's own skin format

freeamp - don't know alot about it, but there's both a linux & win32 vers=
ion

Mp3 Encoders:
lame - IMHO one of the best; supports VBR, CBR, and ABR (a =3D average); =
lots of=20
GUI interfaces available, including Konqueror's Audio CD I/O kpart (drag =
and=20
drop rip/encoding of mp3/ogg files! :^ )

GRip - GUI interface to cparanoia/cdda2wav and lame... very nice; include=
s=20
CDDB support

=2E..i can't think of any others offhand... there used to be one called 8=
hz or=20
something, but it was discontinued last i heard...  lame seems to be the =
most=20
popular... good balance b/n quality & speed of encoding

Rippers:
konquer's Audio CD I/O - very simple to use; drag and drop the files and =
it=20
does it for you; can also encode to mp3/ogg on-the-fly; probably just a G=
UI=20
for cdda2wav or cdparanoia, but i'm not sure

cparanoia - probably the most popular; has lots of error checking/correct=
ing=20
stuff; claims to be able to rip audio from cd's in just about any state (=
i=20
once read about them ripping a cd after taking sandpaper to it!)

cdda2wav - faster than cdparanoia (with cdp's error correcting on); seems=
 to=20
be a stripped-down version of cdparanoia, but i'm not sure

CD Writing:
mkisofs - commandline tool to create ISO image; i like this better than t=
he=20
GUI interfaces, because i can burn cd's remotely

cdrecord - burns ISO's to CD

koncd, kreatecd, xcdroast, etc are just GUI interfaces to the above 2 pro=
grams

Hope this helps...  if you need more examples, just check out freshmeat.n=
et or=20
sourceforge.net

gLaNDix