Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:44:12 -0500

* John Heffington <john1982@xxxxxxx> [2002 Jul 15 14:05 -0500]:

> Ok, so what kind of info do I need to give out for a proper installation? I
> gave you everything about my system. Oh, btw, what days does ACLUG do the
> free linux installations? Thanks!!!

Hi John.

All is not so dire.  As suggested in other messages, you'll need to know
what chipset your video subsystem uses.  Other items like your modem and
network card, CD/DVD drive are also important.  The good news is that the
latest distros have good support for most all hardware.

A good online reference is the Linux on Laptop page at:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

You may find your model listed along with the experiences others have
encountered.  As a bonus someone may have made their XFree Config file
available which make life much easier.

All that said, there is not too much harm in just popping the CD into
the drive a "going for it"!  If you wish to dual-boot, then some
additional preparation will be necessary.

As I don't have any specific information on your model, I can't offer
specific notes.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and