Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Hi! Would like some installtion help...
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 14:16:12 -0500

On Monday 15 July 2002 12:08 pm, you wrote:
> > Ok, so what kind of info do I need to give out for a proper installation?

Do you wish to dual boot the system? i.e. do you want to retain windows and
add Linux?  If so, you will start by defragging your windows disk and backing
up your data.

> generally all that is needed is the type and version of the distro and then
> information on the hardware (i suggest for your own convenience to know
> your hardware inside-out...)

Some important information is the type of video card or chip and horizontal
and vertical frequency for the monitor.  If you want sound, you need
information on the sound chip.  You should know the ethernet card type if you
have ethernet.

Laptops are particularly difficult to install linux on and a dual boot makes
more complications.

It is about time for another free install.

bruce