Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Re: $HOSTNAME

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: $HOSTNAME
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:04:42 -0500

The system host name is actually 2 places.

/etc/hostname
  (for most things)

and

/etc/sysconfig/network
   (for the rest of the things)

The other file,
/etc/hosts
    stores name/address mappings so your pc does not have to do a DNS
lookup for those hosts you choose to put in it.
    This file MUST contain the ip address and name of the local host
(whatever the hostname and domain is), and the default 127.0.0.1 for the
localhost and localhost.localdomain. If it does not at least contain
those, MANY things will not work, such as Xwindows.