Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FW: Purchase Linux CD

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Danny Santanu" <dxsantanu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FW: Purchase Linux CD
From: "Koji Hayakawa" <sylf00@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:32:06 -0600

I believe Suse is more popular in European countries.  RedHat has its
popularity ground in US.  Asian countries like Turbo Linux.

There are free versions of these (and more distro) available for download on
the internet.  It's not hard to find, following a few links from
www.linux.org or other linux related web sites.  If you have broadband
connection, you might not need to purchase any CD.

Or Cheap*Bytes offers multi-CD sets, which includes different versions of
Linux.  That might be good choice, if you want to try them out, and choose
the one you like the best.

One more thing I can think of at this point is the "package manager" each
system offer.  Package manager is like install shield of windows.  (Well,
it's more like *.msi files on windows, if you've used them.)  You may find
same software distributed in different package manager format.  (Just like
some people like distributing their programs in .zip format AND
self-extractor .exe format in windows)

RedHat, Mandrake, OpenLinux, etc use RPM system:  RedHat Package Manager.
It's the most popular package manager in Linux world, as far as I know.  As
lowell mentioned, Debian uses its own version of Package Manager.  They have
pretty good collection of software, but might not be as extensive as RPM.
I'm not going to say which is better than other, since I've never used
Debian.

When you get into the world of Linux, more than likely you are going to
start reading Linux HOWTO documents.  You might want to start right now with
this - Linux Distributions HOWTO:
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Distributions-HOWTO/index.html

391dce40fec780%3A0%3A49%3A50%3A?eKIMRrSG;;147

>     As to what each one is like <fear and trepidation>, RedHat and Suse
> are the most commercial,
> Debian is the Free-est (speech AND beer)and gives you a better package
> manager (they say), Mandrake gives you LOTS of apps,  the others are
> less well-known but each has its speciality(s).
> Perhaps go to a bookstore or library and read up on it/them; get used to
> the idea of researching topics, 'cause you'll be doing a lot of it. This
> is NOT like Windows; you're expected to hold your own hand...</fear and
> trepidation>
>     If you DO get involved, however, I can testify that you'll learn A
> LOT and enjoy it A BUNCH!!!
>
> Dale W Hodge wrote:
>
> >Anyone want to tackle this question? Please make sure you CC the original
> >poster.

---