Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FW: Purchase Linux CD

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FW: Purchase Linux CD
From: lowell <lowell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:00:29 -0600

Okay, Dale,  here goes...

Danny,
    The CD's themselves are available reasonably here:

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/MM=36536b91ab8463f477391dce40fec780%3A0%3A49%3A50%3A?eKIMRrSG;;147

    As to what each one is like <fear and trepidation>, RedHat and Suse
are the most commercial,
Debian is the Free-est (speech AND beer)and gives you a better package
manager (they say), Mandrake gives you LOTS of apps,  the others are
less well-known but each has its speciality(s).
Perhaps go to a bookstore or library and read up on it/them; get used to
the idea of researching topics, 'cause you'll be doing a lot of it. This
is NOT like Windows; you're expected to hold your own hand...</fear and
trepidation>
    If you DO get involved, however, I can testify that you'll learn A
LOT and enjoy it A BUNCH!!!