Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] Re: DLINK DFE-530TX+ & Debian 2.2.18pre12

To: Zeke Lightwave <overlordq@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: DLINK DFE-530TX+ & Debian 2.2.18pre12
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:31:25 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Zeke Lightwave wrote:

> >  Zeke,
> > I found the disk that came with my 530TX+ and it has the rtl8139.c driver.
> > Also found the following comments.  Apparently the 530tx and the 530tx+
> use
> > different drivers.  The 8139 driver should work with your card.
> >
> Ah yes, compiling the driver . . .  It seems I've stumbled upon something
> strange.
> When compiling the driver it wanted modversions.h so I did a little
> research, then installed the kernel-headers package, as modversions.h was in
> it.  Then trying to recompile
> it gave me many errors about unable to find /path/to/src/alotofthings.ver
> files.
>

> I just dl'd the latest debian potato release and am going to try updating,
> to see if that helps.

        This probably won't help.  You might look at Donald Becker's
website, www.scyld.com .  He is one of the original authors for lots of
the LINUX network drivers.  His website is really good for this kind of
stuff.  I had a similiar problem a while back with a Tulip based card that
wasn't recognized by the Debian kernels.  Fix 1 was to download and
install Donald's drivers.  Fix 2 (which I used later) was to download
2.2.20 when it came out with newer Tulip drivers.  (I think that Bruce was
right about the 530TX and the TX+.  I remember this gotcha (vague) about
the chipsets being different.  Don't you love the way PC board
manufacturers do this?  Board FOO100 works fine, FOO100-A crashes and
burns, because they changed the total design of the card .  :-( ).

                                Hope this helps,

                                Tom Wallis

 > > > Bruce Bales wrote:
> >
> > > Zeke,
> > > Did some searching on the web and everything I found says the DFE-530tx
> > > uses the via-rhine driver.  My notes say I used the rtl8139, but the
> > > machine is not available to check out right now.
> > >
> > > Was it the via-rhine driver that came with the board?
> > >
> > > bruce
> > > --
> > > Actually, it's quite difficult to persuade people
> > > that you are bombing them for their own good.
> > >                        ---Molly Ivins

> > --
> > Actually, it's quite difficult to persuade people
> > that you are bombing them for their own good.
> >                        ---Molly Ivins

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx