Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: linux desktop

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: linux desktop
From: "Patrick R . Klee" <drwho@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:36:50 -0600

On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 20:25:02 Ironrose wrote:

> I started using linux as a replacement for NT to play with networking.  I
> took the NT classes and was going to buy a 5 user license, saw the price
> and said forget it!  It was too much, even for an educational project.
>
> I use office apps, graphics programs, and wanted to have a web server.  KS
> cable will kick me off if I have a web server, so that is out.

Actually this is false.  You can have any kind of server (My friend runs
a Half-life server on Linux and KS Cable) but if there is heavy trading,
like mp3, movies and software AKA WaReZ, then and only then will they
close your account.
Also some o_÷?_ù?DATA
ther friends of mine have run IRC servers.  So I am sure if
Ann wants to run an apache webserver on her network that would be ok.

> I am wanting to design web pages, databases, and write some shell scripts.
> There are a lot more options with linux.  Some people don't like so many
> options, but I really like it.  I would like to learn more about dosemu and
> wine.  I would really like to ditch M$ for good.  They use bad politics and
> are trashing linux in their advertisements.  ~Ironrose

Also, I would have to disagree on this.  Linux has one big challenge and
that's desktop environments.  They only thing my dad hates is having to
log in JUST to play Eric's Ultimate Solitare.  He says, if Linux didn't
use a login system and had a user friendly desktop, he would switch to
Linux.  But doesn't GNOME and KDE serve as a "user friendly" environment.