Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] hd go bewm?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] hd go bewm?
From: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:31:47 -0600 (CST)

I may have a hard drive ruined.

I am unable to fsck or even read parts of the drive, the kernel
(2.4.10,2.4.2,2.4.1,2.2.xx, and something else) responding in debian, redhat,
and caldera with the error:
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address xxxxxxxx (some eight
digit hex number)
printing eip:
xxxxxxxx
*pde = 00000000
Oops:0002
CPU:0
EIP:0010:[<c0131609>]
(dump of registers)
Process [whatever it is]
Stack:
[stack printout]
call trace:
[etc]
Code: ...
Seg fault

All in all, a basic kernel panic()

This happens when trying to do basically anything. I can get some things to
work, as long as they don't access most of the disk. (example: dd
if=/dev/random of=/dev/null works, but dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null panics) Scp
works, as does the network unless it hits something, and kills the whole
computer.
I haven't yet tried the disk in another computer, but I was wondering what
other people thought was the problem.

This all started one day when i came home and found a wierd image on the screen
and the computer not responding to anything (local or network) I turned it off
and went though fsck and it was fine, until it crashed later that night, and
has been doing this with more frequency since then. Heck, by now it is almost
as unstable as windows :)

HW:AMD Duron 600
128 + 256 MB RAM DIMMs
Asus A7V (VIA chipset, can't seem to see which one) VIA 82c586 IDE Interface
45 GB Maxtor ATA(UDMA, whatever)-66 HD
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000

James L.