Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: hd go bewm?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hd go bewm?
From: Ironrose <amccadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:57:31 -0600

james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I may have a hard drive ruined.
>
> I am unable to fsck or even read parts of the drive, the kernel
> (2.4.10,2.4.2,2.4.1,2.2.xx, and something else) responding in debian, redhat,
> and caldera with the error:
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address xxxxxxxx (some
> eight digit hex number)
> printing eip:
> xxxxxxxx
> *pde = 00000000
> Oops:0002
> CPU:0
> EIP:0010:[<c0131609>]
> (dump of registers)
> Process [whatever it is]
> Stack:
> [stack printout]
> call trace:
> [etc]
> Code: ...
> Seg fault
>
> All in all, a basic kernel panic()
>
> This happens when trying to do basically anything. I can get some things to
> work, as long as they don't access most of the disk. (example: dd
> if=/dev/random of=/dev/null works, but dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null panics)
> Scp works, as does the network unless it hits something, and kills the whole
> computer.
> I haven't yet tried the disk in another computer, but I was wondering what
> other people thought was the problem.
>
> This all started one day when i came home and found a wierd image on the
> screen and the computer not responding to anything (local or network) I
> turned it off and went though fsck and it was fine, until it crashed later
> that night, and has been doing this with more frequency since then. Heck, by
> now it is almost as unstable as windows :)
>
> HW:AMD Duron 600
> 128 + 256 MB RAM DIMMs
> Asus A7V (VIA chipset, can't seem to see which one) VIA 82c586 IDE Interface
> 45 GB Maxtor ATA(UDMA, whatever)-66 HD
> 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000
>
> James L.

Paging faults can be a problem with the memory.  Bring the DIMMS into the
service dept @ National Computer and I could check them for you.
Ask for Anne.  It is a free service that we do.  We also do a 10 minutes
diagnosic check for free also.  Sounds like you need another pair of eyes to
check the CMOS settings.  Good luck in whatever that you decide to do.  Anne