Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: hd go bewm?

To: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: hd go bewm?
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:20:09 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Looks like it might not be the hd at all, just one of: CPU internal
> cache, CPU external cache, 256 MB RAM DIMM.
>
> At least each of those is cheaper than a new hd, sigh. On the bright
> side, I didn't lose anything on the disk (fingers crossed as I say this
> while runing fsck)

        Yeah, I think it is probably CPU or memory.  Oopses I have seen
around here (like kernel panics) are often caused by bad CPUs (overheated)
or bad memory (overclocked, or sometimes it says PC133 but it isn't really
PC133 :-().  I have had machines with bad hard drives and you get hda
errors, not often oopses (IMHO).  Try underclocking your memory first.  My
MB allows me to specify memory speed in the BIOS.  I chose PC100 even
though the memory vendor sold it as PC133 (super-generic, cheapo stuff).
That fixed it on this system.  If not, try underclocking your CPU.  I had
a 1.3 Athlon that was unstable at 1.3.  I underclocked it to 1.2 and it
worked fine.

                                T W

> James L

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx