Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Samba w/o password?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Samba w/o password?
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:22:30 -0500

One additional thing I would be concerned about....

You said this would be the gateway machine connecting your internal
network to the DSL modem.
        I would NEVER put samba on a machine attached to the internet unless I
intended to do a lot of configuration to make it secure, and that would
probably include the authentication you said you would like to avoid.
        I know you can set up samba to limit the IPs that are allowed to
connect, and you can even set up filtering rules on the
firewall/masq/gateway machine to ensure the only allowed samba
connections came from the internal network. I would also do a lot of
testing before I considered connecting it to the internet when samba was
running.  Public shares on samba are just that ---- PUBLIC.

        Also, have you considered that the "freezing" might be due to the
system having already been hacked?

Jeff

my $.02 worth from one who has experienced the need to reinstall because
a "secure" firewall system wasn't.