Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Seeing past 2GB on a 7GB drive

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Seeing past 2GB on a 7GB drive
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:08:18 -0500

You do not say what the motherboard is, nor anything else about the
hardware.
It is possible that the bios is preventing the installer from seeing the
entire drive.

The bios limitations and dos limitations are the reason early drives
larger than 2GB had the drive managers installed so they could fake the
bios into seeing only 2GB when the system was really using the entire
drive as a single partition. However, the drive managers only worked
with dos and windows as far as I know.

Another possibility might be the way you are setting up the partitions.
Remember that Linux requires the boot OS to be located within the first
1024 cylinders of the drive.  On a 7GB drive that is not likely to be an
issue, but could be.