Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Samba w/o password?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Samba w/o password?
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:45:51 -0500

OK is there any way to set up a PC using IP/Masking/Routing where the drives
[two harddrives, one CD-ROM, one DVD-ROM] can be shared/mapped to
Windows'9x/XP machines with out the need of 'patching' each of the windows
machines, forcing them to logon every time they reboot???

Here is the deal... I have a P-233MX based socket-7 system.. all the
hardware has Linux drivers...
Currently I am running Win'98SE Internet Sharing software and this system is
my gateway system to my DSL modem for the rest of my home network.

Trouble is this system keeps freezing up on me for unknown reasons.... and
would like to try LINUX on this system...but do not want to make things
harder on my wife to access the drives and the internet from her Win'98
system.

The last time I wanted to try to do this Samba was not working correctly
with Win'98 systems due to password protection.

--David