Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Samba w/o password?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Samba w/o password?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:49:47 -0500

Yes, it can be done.  However... based on my own experienc using Samba, I
would plan for at least a several day transition period... so tell your wife
or whoever else that the file server and/or Internet may be inaccessable for
a while.  (Getting IP Masq to work is easy... Samba can be
tricky--espeically if you have several versions of Windows on your network).

The password issue has been "fixed" in recent versions of Samba, so you
should no longer have to patch Windows to work with Samba.  And you can
create 'public' shares w/ Samba just as you do in Windows, thus avoiding the
need for passwords to access the files.

-- Jonathan