Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mail Address Masq

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mail Address Masq
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 08:56:16 -0600

At 09:23 AM 10/5/01 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

I came up with a cool solution to this one.  The
overall goal was to end up with my own mail server AND
avoid changing my email address more than once.  I
don't know why I called it "Mail Address Masq"
earlier.  It's simple forwarding.

I registered my own domain name, and am now using this
domain for my email address.  It delivers to my linux
box (connected through DSL).  I've got Exim forwarding
(actually aliasing) all new address mail to my ISP's
POP3.  This doesn't require my ISP to make any
configuration changes.  It saves me money and buys
time, allowing me to get rid of my old dial-up ISP
immediately, even though I don't have my IMAP server
setup yet.  Once my IMAP is up and running, I'll just
divert the flow of mail from my ISP's mail server to
my own.  This will be the last time I'll have to
announce a new email address to everyone.

Linux is starting to become less painful & more fun.
Nathan