Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Mail Address Masq

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mail Address Masq
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:05:31 -0500

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 06:56:23PM -0600, Nathan wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there's a way to masquerade email
> addresses.  Could an MTA do it with aliases somehow?
>
> I want to register my own domain name and have email
> going to that domain be sent to my ISP's POP3.
>
> People would send mail to nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
> Somehow the To: block needs to be rewritten to be
> nathan@my_isp.com

Not sure I follow what you are after. If you have mail for your domain
delivered to your ISP, then your ISP is going to have to configure
their mail server to accept mail sent to your domain and put it in
your mail box. This is a fairly common procedure and does not require
the rewriting of the To: header in any way. When you pop your mail
from the ISP you will see the original nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in the
headers. With sendmail this is typically done by creating an entry in
the virtusertable file, which maps addresses at some domain to a local
POP account.

Steve