Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: setting up sound

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: setting up sound
From: "gLaNDix" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:48:59 -0500

> ftp'd the alsa 0.9.0beta7 files and unzipped them.
> Did a ./configure and make install on drivers.
> Ran for 3 1/2 hours with a few warnings then unresolved symbols in
> /misc/soundcore.o,
>                 awe_wave.o, sb.o, and snd.o.

ok, stupid question, but you did reboot after you recompiled the kernel w/
just soundsupport (ie: no snd cards selected), right?  you also did 'make
modules_install', right?  just making sure the basics are covered...  what
exactly is the error (highlight -> middle-click works great to copy this
stuff from a terminal window!)?

i've seen something similar to this w/ alsa-drivers, but that's been about
3 yrs ago, so i can't recall the fix offhand... might want to take a look
at the alsa mailing list archives...  most likely, someone else has
experienced this, too...

> looked like close to a go, so I ./ configure on utils then tried make
install
> on utils;
> error: ./config.status - no such file.

i don't believe utils will install w/o drivers installed first...  about
the config.status file missing, i'd have to reboot into freebsd and see
what i can find out...  different packages are slightly different, but i
doubt copying the config.status file from anywhere else will work (as it
sounds you found out)...  might even want to do a 'make distclean' on
drivers and give it a try again...

first and formost, tho' check the mailing list archives... there should be
a LOT of useful info there!

sorry i'm not much more help,
gLaNDix

 Jesse (gLaNDix) Kaufman
 glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 http://lloydix.2y.net

<<< FreeBSD lloydix.2y.net FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #1: Tue Aug 14 02:48:31 CDT
2001  glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/sys/compile/LLOYDIX  i386 >>>